Monday, February 18, 2008

Valentine's Day Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes



Valentine's Schmalentine's Day! That pretty much sums up my feelings about this Hallmark holiday. Show your love all year round, folks! Bake your loved ones cupcakes:)


However, it is a good excuse to do a little baking. A co-worker's birthday was Feb. 15 and I had promised chocolate cupcakes for his big day. I used my standard vegan chocolate cupcake recipe, but mixed in some wonderful raspberry syrup. I'm not a fan of the raspberry extract because I think it tastes incredibly fake and not at all raspberry-like. So I was excited to find a bottle of raspberry syrup for coffees and such in the sale bin at Aldi. I substituted 2 tablespoons of the raspberry syrup, which gave the cupcakes a light berry flavor. I whipped up a batch of vegan frosting with the syrup and some hot pink food coloring. The pictures don't do these justice because they were literally glowing PINK! Back in the day, I used to have some spandex bike shorts that were this pink...yikes! But they (the cupcakes, not the spandex) were very delicious and the pink was acceptable since it was Valentine's Day.

Just for fun, I kept a few for myself and decorated them with my Screen Legends cupcake toppers. Nothing goes better with hot pink cupcakes than classic Marilyn and Audrey!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Those look great.