Tuesday, February 19, 2008

An Ode to My KitchenAid

The beauty of baking is that you get to make mistakes. Sometimes they can be fixed, sometimes not, and yet other times, they end up creating a great surprise.

Well, I made a mistake while baking last week that resulted in lots of extra cupcakes. I originally intended to make about 4 dozen chocolate raspberry cupcakes for my co-workers, the fella's co-workers, and my friends' party. I make my recipe and double it, the whole time forgetting that the original recipe only makes 12 cupcakes. I end up with half the cupcakes I need, and decide that this is a good time to try a new recipe--Walnut and Maple Cupcakes from Ms. Martha herself.
I double that batch and have everything mixed together in my KitchenAid mixer when I realize that the original recipe makes 2 dozen. OOPS! I have just made many more cupcakes than I needed...

My KitchenAid, fondly known as the Orange Krush, was working through the giant bowl of batter as though it was air. I remember the days when I used a hand mixer and constantly waited for it to die in a dramatic fashion. Luckily, that never happened. I still use it for mixing frosting in the double boiler, but my KitchenAid is the Queen of Frosted's Kitchen! (Thanks to Mom for the best Christmas present ever!)


2 comments:

readhead said...

I too love my kitchenaid. During the Christmas season I can be seen washing that stainless steal bowl at least 3 or 4 times a day. I would go out and buy another one, if only they were not $50.00 plus. :o(

Anonymous said...

Jealous! Alas, as a broke grad student, I have no KitchenAid mixer at the moment (crossing my fingers for a birthday pressy!).

Interestingly enough, I detest hand mixers to the point of opting to stir by hand most times.

Love the orange color!