Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Iron Cupcake February:Coffee

I was extremely excited when February's Iron Cupcake ingredient was announced. Coffee is one of my absolute favorite things in the world and I just got a new coffee press.

Immediately, I thought about the Bailey's and coffee cupcakes that I created for St. Patrick's Day last year. They were very delicious but I have been thinking of reworking the recipe for a while. I wanted to do something that would bring out more of the Bailey's flavor and have a more tender crumb.

This was also a good excuse to buy a big bottle of Bailey's:)

I altered my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe to make it coffee-tastic (did I actually just write that?).

Makes 12 cupcakes.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white, at room temp
1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup+1tsp STRONG brewed coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pan for 12 cupcakes.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a second bowl, use mixer to combine sugar and butter until fluffy (3-5 minutes). Add the egg and egg white slowly and beat well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then add the milk. Add 1/3 more flour mixture and then add the coffee. Mix in the rest of the flour mixture until just combined (don't overbeat your cupcakes or they will be disgusting).


Drink some Bailey's on ice and fill 12 cupcake papers with equal amounts of batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees.

While the cupcakes are baking, mix up the Bailey's filling. This portion of the recipe comes from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella.


One package (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding

3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

3 tablespoons Bailey's (or any brand) Irish creme

Mix all ingredients with electric mixture until it has the consistency of thick pudding. I hate pudding, but for some reason, I'm in love with this stuff. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the Bailey's...


Finally, mix up the frosting and wish for a second Kitchenaid mixer bowl. I made a basic and incredibly light chocolate buttercream:

The measurements are approximate, I usually just add flavorings and powdered sugar until it's the right consistency.

1 stick unsalted butter, room temp

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

2 cups powdered sugar

splash of heavy whipping cream (this will give it that light texture)

Using electric mixer, cream butter for approximately 3 minutes on high speed. Slowly add in cocoa powder, powdered sugar and whipping cream.

To assemble the cakes, wait until they are completely cool! I cut out a little cone shape in the tops of each cupcake with a very sharp steak knife. Then I drop in a dollop of Bailey's filling and squish the top back on the cupcake. If it squirts out the sides a bit, no worries! Once the frosting is added, no one will notice.


I top my cupcakes with Wilton icing bags and a star tip, but you can just as easily spread it on with a spoon. Personally, I like the swirls. Add a chocolate-covered espresso bean if you feel inclined.


The winner of Februry's coffee challenge gets all these goodies:

DIANAEVANS - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5599270
as well as a pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES at
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6057281.
PLUS, IronCupcake:Earth can not forget our good friend, CAKESPY,
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5243382 As an added bonus for February, SWEET CUPPIN CAKES BAKERY AND CUPCAKERY SUPPLY will be tossing in a variety of cupcaking supplies, http://www.acupcakery.com/index.html.Last and certainly not least, don’t forget our corporate prize providers: HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS, http://www.fiestaproducts.com/, HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, http://blog.hellocupcakebook.com/, JESSIE STEELE APRONS http://www.jessiesteele.com/; TASTE OF HOME books, http://www.tasteofhome.com/; a t-shirt from UPWITHCUPCAKES.COM http://www.upwithcupcakes.com/. Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers, http://www.1800flowers.com/ .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome Rach! Hope you win!

Cali Cakes said...

I love Bailey's....these look soo good!

Betsy Eves @JavaCupcake said...

I'm making your cupcake today!!! :) Looks DELISH!

Frosted said...

Thanks for the kind words:) I had a lot of fun making these and I hope you all can enjoy them too.