Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Farmers Market and Fundraising

I was able to sneak out to a fantastic Farmers' Market during my lunch hour today. It always amazes me how Chicago can tuck these amazing little markets between huge skyscrapers. My favorite is the Tuesday market at Adams and Dearborn, near the Federal buildings.

I picked up some lovely red and white currants, which are nearly impossible for me to find, even in the best produce markets. A charming lad of about 12 sold me a lavender plant and told me how working there was much more enjoyable than school. Oh, to be young again and have every summer free! Today's final purchase was my obligatory pack of five heart-shaped brownies made by a fantastic charity called Misericordia. They employ disabled adults in their bakery, restaurant, gift shop, and resale store. I would like to think that these brownies are calorie-free due to their charitable connection, but I'm sure that's wishful thinking.

With the assistance of my good friend Martha, I am trying to determine exactly how to use the currants. So far, I have one recipe for red currant jam and I am stumped. I typically use dried currants for scones, so I need new ideas!


I will be baking this weekend for a darling friend and neighbor. She worked as a Peace Corps volunteer in Ghana for two years and is running the Chicago Marathon with the AIDS Foundation. Our friends, co-workers and families have the option to order cupcakes by me to help with her fundraising costs. That should keep me busy most of the day, but hopefully I can snap some pictures of the finished products.

Shameless plug: If you want to help her achieve her fundraising goal and make a difference in the fight against HIV and AIDS, check out her page at http://afc.aidschicago.org/netcommunity/jenschneidman

1 comment:

Yuko said...

hello neighbor!
thank you for stopping by my blog.
i like pilsen, so does my cat!
my cat misses hunging around the church, that's her favorite spot. :)