It's not the title of a bad horror film, just the events in my kitchen last week. I had an order for a theme party and she asked for Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes. I knew that I had a recipe for them at home, but I forgot that it was vegan and required me to purchase a bunch of odd ingredients.
First oops.
So, while I should have been baking, I headed online to find a quick recipe. I stumbled onto "I Heart Cuppycakes" and her amazing Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes! There were lots of great comments, so I figured that they would be a surefire hit.
Of course, I had waited until late at night to start baking, so I hurried through the recipe, poured the batter into my pretty red, blue and orange cupcake papers, and put them in the oven.
Second oops.
I used her Cuppycakes' cinnamon frosting recipe and it tasted great. Just a hint of flavor without too much sweetness, and I second her recommendation of using less powdered sugar.
So, with my Wilton bag full of buttercream and the dishes in the sink, I peer into my oven...
My Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes are not rising! GASP! They are almost done and yet they sit 1/3 inch from the top of the cupcake paper. What am I going to do?? I can't possibly top them with THAT much buttercream, can I? When I finally pull them from the oven, they have the consistency of fudge, but the taste is good.
It is now 11 PM and I am distraught. I go through the recipe, trying to figure out what went wrong...I forgot to add baking soda.
Third oops.
First oops.
So, while I should have been baking, I headed online to find a quick recipe. I stumbled onto "I Heart Cuppycakes" and her amazing Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes! There were lots of great comments, so I figured that they would be a surefire hit.
Of course, I had waited until late at night to start baking, so I hurried through the recipe, poured the batter into my pretty red, blue and orange cupcake papers, and put them in the oven.
Second oops.
I used her Cuppycakes' cinnamon frosting recipe and it tasted great. Just a hint of flavor without too much sweetness, and I second her recommendation of using less powdered sugar.
So, with my Wilton bag full of buttercream and the dishes in the sink, I peer into my oven...
My Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes are not rising! GASP! They are almost done and yet they sit 1/3 inch from the top of the cupcake paper. What am I going to do?? I can't possibly top them with THAT much buttercream, can I? When I finally pull them from the oven, they have the consistency of fudge, but the taste is good.
It is now 11 PM and I am distraught. I go through the recipe, trying to figure out what went wrong...I forgot to add baking soda.
Third oops.
Well, I quickly re-made another half batch and gleefully watched them grow to the size of normal cupcakes. They cooled overnight and headed to work with me in the morning, where my friend was delighted with the end result. I ended up making more for my BBQ on Saturday and they were amazing.
So, what have I learned from this ordeal?
-Don't rush while baking.
-Do measure out all ingredients ahead of time and set them out.
-Do read the entire recipe first.
-Don't be a doofus because you will waste ingredients and cupcake papers.
-Do make these cupcakes for your friends and family because they are very delicious!
6 comments:
So glad you liked the recipe! I absolutely lurve that frosting. Yum! Trust me... Forgetting ingredients happens to the best of bakers. (I've done it more than once myself. haha)
Clara
Clara,
I still felt pretty silly:)
As for that frosting, everyone at the party loved it too!
All good things to learn!
Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)
Oh I have had days like that... too many to count! Glad you caught your oops!ptutm
Thanks for sharing this recipe...i like the list at the end of your post, i had to develope the habit of reading the whole recipe before i go ahead and start making the dish and also prepare the stuff before hand is very useful...thanks!
Oh they look and sound so delightful!
Post a Comment